If you have ever experienced a hot flash then you know how unpredictable frustrating, embarrassing, irritating, and even depressing they can be. Hot flashes often bring about lethargy, fatigue and often insomnia for some women.
Hot flashes are caused by decreases in estrogen and progesterone. When these hormones are reduced the gland in the body, the hypothalamus, which acts a thermostat has difficulty determining whether we are hot or cold. Some women suffer only mildly from hot flashes, whereas others find they are hot and soaking in the cold of winter.
By now you may be asking the question, how to treat hot flashes. In answer to that question, here are 15.5 key strategies to help you gain a sense of well-being in overcoming hot flashes.
1. Dress in layers. Wear natural fibers that are made of cotton, linen or wool instead of synthetic fabrics. These natural fabrics can help the heat from a hot flash diffuse resulting in you feeling more relaxed and cool
2. Avoid triggers such as alcoholic beverage, caffeine and caffeinated drinks (so be sure and read labels), too hot weather, excessively spicy foods and hot drinks
3, Take nutritional supplements such as vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin B complex (a mainstay), calcium and magnesium
4. Herbal supplements can also aid in lessen hot flashes, e.g., black cohosh, Maca, red clover, damiana and evening primrose.(both Damiana and evening primrose are mainstays for me for menopausal symptoms)
5. If you do not have a regular exercise routine you should consider starting one. Exercise reduces stress and tension. The release of endorphins aid in providing you with a sense of calm
6. For sleeping wear garments made from natural fabrics, such as cottons or silksâ€¦bedtime garments can be super light weight fabrics to sleeping in the very minimal night wear
7. Use of a natural progesterone cream may help to reduce hot flashes by supporting hormonal balance. Visit your local health food store and talk to your holistic nutritionist for more information.
8. Acupuncture has been reported by Stanford University researchers to reduced hot flashes. The report indicated that 7 consecutive weeks of acupuncture reduced the womenâ€™s hot flashes by 28% compare with a 6% decrease among who had a sham treatment
9. Chinese Herbal Remediesâ€”how to treat hot flashes. One popular Chinese herb for the treatment of hot flashes is dong quai. Dong quai is a blood invigorating and tonifying herb. Dong quai is only one herb among 4000 used in Chinese herbal medicine. A visit to your local traditional Chinese herbalist can help you determine which herb is right for you to provide you with relief from the dreaded hot flashes.
10. Examining your diet and enhance your diet with plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, (organic when possible)
11. Omega 3 has been reported to reduce the intensity of hot flashes. Omega 3 is found in flaxseed oil at exceedingly high levels, fish oil, e.g., cod liver oil, salmon, chia seeds and sardines to name only a few sources.
12. Remember to drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep your body hydrated
13. Some women carry a mini fan with them to use in case of hot flashes or to cool themselves when they are in an excessively warm environment. The â€śold fashionâ€ť hand fan can also provide relief when you either experience a hot flash or simply need to cool down.
14. Massage can offer many benefits that support your overall well-being. Some of the benefits are, enhance immunity by stimulating lymph flow, exercise and stretch weak atrophied muscles, lessen depression and anxiety, improves circulation and release of endorphins (amino acids that help to reduce pain)
15. Progesterone cream has been reported according to a study to lessen hot flashes. According the study a significant number of women experienced fewer hot flashes when using the cream.
15.5 Pamper yourself. Take time out to take a soothing bath herbal bath, such as one with lavender essence, for a pedicure, facial, sauna, spa treatment, trip to the hair salon, sleep-in, watch a comedy and buy yourself a beautiful bouquet of flowers for your bedroom
So now you have 15.5 key strategies to help you feel better and how to treat hot flashes.
Note- Please remember that it is always important to consult your health practitioner before beginning any remedies to make sure they wonâ€™t harm your health nor have any adverse effects. The information provided on this site is for educational purposes only. This publication, and the product contained herein are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Ameenah Lutfee has practiced optimal health for over 25 years before becoming a freelance writer. Her â€ś30 Key Discoveries, Natural Relief for Menopauseâ€ť report is free and available at: http://www.awesomehealthandwealth.com. She currently maintains up to date insights on natural relief for hot flashes via her blog site as well.